Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fall is here!

Burrr.....
Aysia has her last soccer game today. The weatherman had said there was a chance for snow today. So far it's just cold!

Last Friday was school picture day at Aysia's school. I told her she could pick out her outfit. When I explained to her that only her top would be seen, she had a melt down and couldn't understand why they couldn't make an exception for her. You see, her skirt had apples on it to match the shirt she had picked. She was very upset her whole outfit wouldn't be seen. I tried to explain it was her cute face I wanted to see in the picture. I apparently lack her fashion sense. I finally compromised with her and told her she could stay home from school on Monday to have her pictures taken with the pre-k students. Aysia was very happy to get to stay home from school.

Bowling Wednesday was a traumatic experience for Aidan and Eleanor. I had an awesome first game with a score of 176. I actually got 4 strikes in a row! However, it wasn't so great for Aidan.
At one point during bowling Eleanor came over, her little face was so serious as she explained she and Aidan had just been playing in the doors. The were going in and out, opening and closing the doors, but now the door was closed and Aidan was stuck in the doors. I didn't understand what she was telling me, but she seemed so upset about it I asked her to show me where he was stuck. I thought he was in the breeze way at the far north entrance. However, when she walked me over I didn't see Aidan anywhere and she walked over to a closed locker, and said he's in here. My heart stopped. I called to Aidan trying to figure out which locker he was locked in. Ellie was right, he was stuck! I couldn't open the door either. I told him I would get the key to let him out. Another bowler stayed to talk to him while I ran to the front, hoping they had a master key. They took their time getting down to him. But when I got back to him, the lady who I left with him said, "He's stopped talking to me." I heard his little voice whisper "I'm just scared". When Carl finally found the right key and after putting on his glasses to see the key hole - my nerves were about shot. When I looked in the open door Aidan was curled up almost in a fetal position ( the only way he could fit in the locker) holding his little Halloween flashlight with both hands. At least it wasn't pitch black. I had taken Chloe and Aidan to Arctic Circle for lunch on the way to bowling. They both received flash lights with their meals. Aidan and Ellie had been climbing in and out of lockers to see the flashlight in the dark.
Tammis said she feared all last year that Eleanor would get locked in because she kept climbing in the lockers. She had told her many times not to play in the lockers. Poor Ellie got in trouble for climbing in the lockers and for shutting the door on Aidan. They had just been playing. She wasn't trying to be mean. I'm sure she had her turn inside with the light too; she just didn't get locked in. Aidan was very traumatized. He sat on my lap almost through the rest of bowling, except when it was my turn. I had a few wild frames while my heart calmed down. It took a while for the uneasy feeling to leave. We did win three of the four games. Eleanor kept saying, Aidan won't play with me. He's not my friend anymore. She was worried he was mad at her for locking him in. I told her; He's not mad, he's still your friend. He's just scared and wants to sit with his mom for a minute. When we left he was feeling better and was playing with Ellie again. She came home with us for a play date. I told her on the way home I was proud of her for coming to tell me when Aidan got stuck, and that she was the hero for helping to rescue him. I think a child who was maybe a year or two older may have been more worried about getting in trouble than helping their friend get help.


We had a ward "service auction" last night. Ward members offered services to be "auctioned" for points you could earn by answering about fifty questions when you arrived. Questions like: Did you make your bed this morning? 10 points for each year you've been married. Did you say you morning prayers. etc.
I took two pumpkins from our garden and a basket of home canned goods. It was "sold" for 1050 points. Only the quilt Carol Todd made and two tickets to Hale Center Theater went for more points. There was a lot of babysitting and lawn mowing offered. But many individual items too. Brother Overson offered to hold a family home evening on how to carve pumpkins. Welding went for a high price too. There was dinner for 6, homemade egg rolls and homemade dinner rolls. Oil changes, computer work, swamp cooler service, birthday party with cake and games, house work, snow removal and weed pulling. It was fun, even Billy said he enjoyed it.

Next week is Grandma Boam's birthday and UEA. We will have even more time for mischief! Grandma has planned quite a big party for herself. It should be fun to report on that. :)

No comments: